What if you knew exactly what steps to take to figure out a career that aligns with your unique priorities and values?
Do You Find Yourself…
- Sick from the stress of dealing with difficult clients, toxic partners, and all of the minutiae of legal practice?
- Scrolling through jobs on LinkedIn, hoping you’ll stumble upon something that actually seems exciting to you?
- Frustrated that you managed to graduate from law school and pass the bar, yet can’t figure out what you should be doing with your career?
You know that you don’t want to be a lawyer anymore…
but you have no idea what you want to do instead.
- Feeling confident and excited to figure out what’s next for you in your career
- Knowing exactly what to do now and next because you have a clear plan for figuring out what you want
- Feeling focused and relaxed instead of scattered and anxious when you think about your next career step
- Jumping into a new career you LOVE, that allows you to bring your whole self to work and where your unique strengths and skills are valued
- Being part of a community of like-minded lawyers who get it
The roadmap is waiting for you.
LET’S DO THIS
A confidential and collaborative program that gives you the tools and support that you need to say goodbye to your soul-sucking legal job and hello to a career that aligns with your unique priorities and values.
The 5-Part Former Lawyer Framework™ will guide you through the process of identifying the best career path for you.
PRIVATE COMMUNITY PLATFORM
FORMER LAWYER FRAMEWORK™ CORE CURRICULUM
WORKSHOP LIBRARY *
RESUMÉ & COVER LETTER BANK
PRIVATE PODCAST FEEDS
TRANSFERABLE SKILLS AUDIT™
What’s in the Workshop Library?
Curious to know what’s in the Workshop Library? (Remember, this is in addition to the core Former Lawyer Framework™ curriculum.)
Here are some of the things you’ll find in the library:
- How To Create An Effective Resume: Leveraging Your Transferable Skills As A Lawyer And Positioning Yourself For The Job That You Want
- Networking & Informational Interviews Q&A
- What Do I Want to Be When I Grow Up?: Figuring Out What You Really Want from Your Career
- Non-Profits, Figuring Out What You Want, And Dealing With Uncertainty Q&A
- Beyond Black and White Thinking
- Balancing Your Budget Now & Beyond Biglaw
- Is In-House The Answer? Panel Discussion & Q&A
- Mindfulness for Lawyers: Real Tools You Can Use Right Now
- Student Loan Repayment Strategies
- Budgeting Basics for Lawyers
- When You Can’t Leave Just Yet: Strategies To Move You Forward Even When You’re Staying Put
- Student Loan Debt Considerations For Lawyers
- How To Make A Full-Time Income Pursuing Your Passion
- Self-Care In Your Current Role Can Prevent Career Transition Burnout
- Counsel to Copywriter: Leveraging the Law to Start Your Writing Side-Hustle
- Boundaries at Work
- 3 Strategies For Uncovering Any Lawyer’s Transferable Skills
- How To Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile
- Introduction to the CliftonStrengths Assessment
You’ll also find panel discussions with former lawyers who have moved into other fields. Topics include careers in:
- Higher ed/law school administration
- Freelance writing
- Online business
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Non-profit development/management
- Legal project management
- Legal operations
- Legal tech
- Foreign service
What real lawyers like you have to say about the
FORMER LAWYER COLLABORATIVE™.
Sarah does a good job of walking the balance between a total exit from the profession or ‘grin and bear it,’ while also being very REAL about the serious pitfalls we are collaboratively facing in law. She uplifts and asks thought-provoking questions to lead you, not direct you or tell you what to think. There are lots of coaches out there set out to either help you stay in the profession or encourage you to leave it entirely, but she leaves space for your journey to be unique to you, which it is!”
Marquel, Former Law Firm Associate
Law Firm Partner
If you are feeling lost and overwhelmed at work, and find yourself laying in bed at night googling “jobs I can do with a JD” over and over to no real avail…the Collab is for you! If you are on the fence about joining…ask yourself, are you looking to hold yourself accountable and go from thinking/dreaming/talking about making a change to actually making a change? If so, dive in!”
25-Year Lawyer & Law Firm Partner
Small Firm Litigator
Lawyer in Private Practice
Law Firm Associate
When you consider that the Collaborative could literally change your entire life, it is invaluable. There is so much helpful content, it is absolutely worth the cost.”
Senior Associate, Litigation
Federal Government Attorney
I was skeptical at first. I was not a Big Law or highly paid attorney. [The Collab] was worth the time and money I put into it[.] There is a forum full of posts by lawyers from numerous sectors, including government, giving and receiving advice, celebrating wins, supporting each other though downturns, and providing networking connections. . . .
In my group conversations with Sarah, I have seen that she is very adept at asking questions and drilling down to the root of an issue, in a very pleasant and non-judgmental way. She has a wonderful demeanor, and it’s almost impossible not to instantly connect with her. She has given me excellent advice, provided invaluable support, and given me access to a network that I really needed to get where I wanted to go professionally.
The Framework is useful for trying to figure out what your professional values are, what your interests and transferable skills are, etc., but the Collab has great value even if you’ve already done a lot of that work (like I had through other coaching programs). I wish I would have started here first. I could have saved myself some time and money!”
Michelle, Former Government Attorney
Choose the option that
works best for you!
Questions Lawyers Have Asked Before Saying, “YES!” to Joining the Collaborative
You talk a lot about Biglaw. Is the Collaborative only for Biglaw lawyers?
No. We have members of all types in the Collaborative—Biglaw, Midlaw, super small firms, partners and associates, in-house, public interest, government/prosecutors/public defenders.
Is the Collaborative only for lawyers in a particular stage of their career?
The Collaborative is helpful for lawyers at any stage. Lawyers at all stages of their careers—from awaiting bar results through their twenty-fifth year of practice—have joined and benefitted from the Collaborative.
Who isn’t a good fit for the Collaborative?
The Collaborative is structured for lawyers who are actively trying to figure out what they want to do next in their career, actively exploring the possibility of leaving the law, or anticipating leaving the law eventually, even if that may be several years down the road. If you’re a lawyer who wants to market your legal services or a former lawyer who has found your new niche and wants to market those services, this is not a great fit. We have a strict “no promotions, selling, or spam” policy.
Are any live calls included in the Collaborative?
There are no live calls included in the Collaborative. However, you have 24/7 access to our community on Circle, and Sarah reads and responds to all questions. We also occasionally have live workshops or panels.
If you’re interested in an experience with live group coaching calls, the Guided Track is the program for you. If you would like 1:1 coaching calls, check out the Collab Plus 1:1 program.
What’s your refund policy?
Because the Former Lawyer Collaborative™ is a digital program to which you get instant full access upon enrolling, and to protect and ensure the confidentiality of program participants, I do not offer refunds. I fully believe in the value of this program and the participants agree!
Your level of success in this program depends upon your personal commitment and willingness to invest in your own career and in all of the resources that the Collaborative™ offers. The no-refund policy is designed to make sure that every participant in this program has thoughtfully decided that they are ready to invest in themselves and their careers.
You are my people. Click here.
Once I join, how long do I have access?
When you join the Collaborative, you get access for the lifetime of the program. That means if life gets in the way (like say, you get sucked onto some nightmare TRO or deal that blows up months of your life), you’re never behind and the work and community is always here for you when you are able to return to it. And, it means that you can get started today without worrying about what might happen in the future. Truly, if you want out of the law, the most important thing is to just start!
I have other questions that you didn’t answer—what do I do?
No problem! Email us at [email protected].
Will I have access to Sarah to ask her questions?
Yes. Sarah reads and responds to questions posted in Circle every business day. However, Sarah does not provide individualized coaching by email to Collab members. Coaching by email is reserved for 1:1 clients.
I practiced law for 10 years, first as a Biglaw litigator, and later at a state court of appeals (with a brief interlude in legal publishing).
In 2018, my husband and I paid off our (double!) law school loans and I left the law for good.
I created Former Lawyer to help other lawyers, like me, who discover that they don’t want to practice law, but don’t know what to do next.
Still have questions?
I want to make sure that you have everything that you need to figure out if the Former Lawyer Collaborative™ is right for you. If you have questions, you can contact me here.